If you understand and implement search engine optimisation, ranking amongst the top Google search results will not be a challenge anymore. Keywords play a vital role in helping you to achieve this. It requires analysis of keyword density, search phrases, usage of multiple keywords, and the chosen keywords’ proper placement.
The main difference between a search term and a keyword?
Though they look almost similar, there is a subtle difference between a search term and keywords. While a search term is any phrase or word that a everyone uses to search, a keyword is a term that is indexed by the search engine. Search engine algorithm skims through websites and indexes keywords based on the purpose and category of the websites.
So, when a user types a search term, the search engine will analyze its relevance with the pool of indexed keywords to display the most relevant results. Therefore, the better the user’s search terms match with your keywords higher will be your ranking.
Choosing the right search terms.
- You can look into several key sources before choosing your search terms. Choosing the right search terms can make or break your website’s ranking potential.
- The Google search results page is a goldmine for choosing the best search terms. Type one of your keywords in the “related searches” field, or look into the autocomplete suggestions for the popular search terms.
- Google Trends is a valuable tool that gives you a thorough insight into the trending terms and popular queries for your main keyword.
- The Google keyword planner is one of themost sought-after tools by most website owners who want toenhance the match between the keywords and the search terms. The tool will also give an overview of the keyword search volume, performance, and competition level.
Importance of search terms.
- They help users find exactly what they are looking for. Users can find the exact match for their search term with the search engine’s auto-complete function.
- If your search query is similar to already searched popular terms used by other users, then SERP (search engine result page) will display those results also for you.
- Search terms are useful during advanced searches too, where you can make your search query as specific as possible to get the most relevant results.
- You can boost the number of impressions for your search ads by using the most popular search terms by which the target audience will be directed to the search engine results page that has your ads. Therefore, your ad can make it to the SERP if you understand your target audience.
- Make sure you optimize your website content by including all the relevant search terms, as per your category to significantly boost the search engine optimization for your website.
- Before ranking your websites on SERP, the search engine will break down the search queries into multiple keywords. It will then match the user’s search intent with its indexed keywords to determine the most relevant results. Therefore, the correct search terms will help in your SERP ranking.
Importance of keywords in SEO.
- Keywords are the best medium through which you can reach your target user. They represent your brand and your web page’s core purpose.
- In addition to helping in search engine optimization, keywords enhance the content quality that matches your brand image.
- Think from a user’s point of view when choosing the keywords for your website. Come up with all possible terms the user may use while searching for your website.
- For authoritative website content, identify and stick to a keyword that matches the user’s expectations.
- If you want to improve your search engine rankings, you can create separate web pages for each target keyword.
- Keyword placement decides your website’s visibility. Analyze and decide the keywords you wish to place in the URL, page title, headings and subheadings.
- Do not overstuff the keywords and annoy the users because the webpage readability can influence your search engine optimization. The keywords must look natural in the title or heading.
Best techniques to improve your website ranking.
Maintain the quality and relevance of the website content.
Quality content is the best influencer for your search engine rankings. Remember, there is no substitute of great content, especially the content created for your potential user. Quality content automatically increases website traffic and boosts its relevance in the market.
Well-written authoritative website content is bound to attract your target audience. Use the right keywords in the right density and place them appropriately. Plan and provide links to relevant sources within your organization and other useful websites.
Optimize the website’s metadata.
Your website metadata holds related key terms that must be reviewed and optimized regularly. Although a CMS (content management system) site is done by default, it is ideal for you to analyze and fill in the metadata details while designing your webpage.
The title in the metadata holds carries high weightage in your search engine optimization. It is the top header that appears first in the search results. So, in-depth analysis is essential before choosing and using the most relevant keywords in the title metadata.
A good meta description is a brief and interesting representation of your website. It can range between 2-3 lines and is the best place to use your popular keywords to optimize your search results. You can also include a variety of related phrases in the keyword metadata field to influence your search engine rankings.
Use popular and relevant links.
In addition to providing quality and authoritative content, you must also understand the interests and preferences of your potential users and provide reference links. These relevant links to other websites will automatically boost your search engine ranking.
Use the destination website names instead of “click here” links. You can use the keywords and improve your search engine rankings. When you use descriptive links with keywords, it helps in the user’s readability and adds value to the search.
Make relevant website recommendations to maintain content quality. Using alt tags or alternate text descriptions in your image and videos is better. By this, search engines can quickly locate your page and index your content.
Improve your local search engine optimization.
Nearly half of google users look for locally relevant information specific to their region. Local SEO is an important strategy to make your website popular across regions. The user’s local search query will include organic search results, local business listings and Google Maps results. To improve your local SEO and ensure your webpage shows up when local users search for you;
- Establish your webpage’s profile and purpose.
- Maintain accurate contact information across the online platforms, else do so in your Google business listing.
- Regularly add updated posts that deals to your Google business profile. Also, make sure to read and respond to user feedback promptly.
- Make location pages for your website for improved visibility.
- Keep your website optimized with the most relevant keywords in the right places.
- Ensure your online credentials, i.e., name, address, and contact number, are consistent across the web.
Adjust keyword competition for your new content.
It is better to avoid too competitive keywords too early if you wish to make your SEO work. Question Keywords can be beneficial for your SEO because question keywords work in favour of your SEO as they are precise less-competitive. You can find these question keywords by checking the “People also ask” section in the Google search results.
You can also use long-tail keywords because though they do not get individually searched, most of these words are among the popular search queries.
Optimize the visuals in your web content.
Image optimization can drive more traffic to your website if done effectively. Images can enhance your text content because they are a welcome break amidst blocks of text content. Pictures can improve the understandability of the text and help your content stay unique. Users will also be encouraged to share your content or link on social media.
You can optimize your image by:
- Stick to suitable image size formats that do not hinder the fast loading of your webpage.
- Make sure to add alt tags to the image names, descriptions, and titles.
- Do not infringe on pictures; use only those images you are legally allowed to use in your content.
- Add images that are relevant and complement the text content.
- Review and preview the images to ensure they are adaptable and readable across different mobile devices.
- Use unique photos that go well with your brand image. Do not use the commonly used images on other websites.
Make the best use of Google Analytics.
Google Analytics will help improve your SEO by giving you in-depth insights on key metrics that can influence your website traffic. You can track the source of your organic traffic by checking under behaviour -> landing pages. Then if you select “organic traffic”, you can view traffic from search engines. You can also track the monthly or half-yearly traffic from different sources such as referral, paid, or direct.
The bounce rate and session rate in Google Analytics will indicate the number of users leaving your page without viewing much and the time spent on it. You will be able to understand users’ reactions and perceptions of your web page.
Focus on your website’s loading speed.
The loading speed is a key ranking factor. That is because a very slow-loading page will annoy the users and increase the bounce rate. Google’s Page Speed insights can test your website’s loading speed for both mobile and desktop. It will give improvement areas if you have failed/passed the loading speed test.
As achievable, it seems to make your SEO a success; remember, it takes time and effort to reach there. Several factors influence search engine rankings. You need to identify what works for your website and implement the above-mentioned popular techniques to improve your website’s visibility.